Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese (vegan)
Bread (of your choice. I use whole wheat)
Daiya cheddar style slices (or any other vegan brand of cheese that comes in singles)
13 medium-large tomatoes, diced.
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup almond milk
salt and pepper, to taste
*If using canned tomatoes, skip to step 2*
1) Dice tomatoes, and place in large bowl
2) Heat (large) greased or non-stick pot over medium/high heat.
3) Chop onion and place in pot. Stir occasionaly until golden-brown (about 5 min)
4) Stir minced garlic in, cook for about one more minute
5) Add all other ingredients, NOT INCLUDING BROTH AND ALMOND MILK. Bring to a boil.
6) Once boiling, add broth and almond milk. Bring to boil again.
7) Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. If you do not own an immersion blender, puree the soup in batches in a regular blender. Add salt and pepper to taste.
1) Grease pan with oil or margirin over medium to low heat.
2) place two slices of bread on to pan.
3) Stick two slices of vegan cheese on to one slice of bread. Then place other piece of bread on top.
4) Cook each side for about two minutes, or until golden-brown with cheese melted.