Torrejitas Espinaca (Veggie Fritter)
1 teaspoon canola oil + oil to saute and fry
1/2 large red onion, diced
tiny amount of water
3 to 4 cups spinach (chopped)
1-1/2 tablespoon flax seed
3/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour (variable)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons aji panca (crushed dark green chile)
Just about any vegetable can be used to fritter. be creative. sometimes i use cauliflower and carrot. make sure to soften such veggies by boiling lightly.
1. To a pan, add a small amount of oil and saute onions until tender. Set aside.
2. To another pan, add water and spinach. Reduce and darken spinach with a tiny amount of water (note: tiny tiny tiny amount of water). Set aside.
3. In separate container, mix flax seed and hot water. let stand 10 minutes.
4. In large bowl, mix potato starch, baking powder, 2 tablespoons flour. Add the flax seed water concoction to starches. then 1 teaspoon oil. Whisk lightly. Stir in salt, pepper ,and chile (see insert picture) to taste.
5. Add spinach and onions to mix bowl. Stir. Thicken with flour. Consistency is important when frying. you do not want it to be to runny with water. you may have to adjust flour water ratios depending on runny-ness.
6. Get pan ready for frying with desired oil. (Frying is an art, which i have just been taught). Lay spoonfuls of mixture in pan into small round frittery things. Cool and drain on plate with paper towel.
Serve with rice, or peeled green wheat, potatoes, ensalada russa (see prior recipes), sprouts, gravy..... mmmmmm.
Source of recipe: continuing the Peruvian food veggie conversions. i grew up on these. the hard part has been replacing the egg. most food from the motherland does. but now.... it does not.