1 cup water
salt, to taste
2 large plantains
2 cups frying oil Dipping sauce:
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchupcolor=#FF6600]
1. In a bowl, add water and a little salt. Cut the ends off plantains with peel still in place, then add them to water mixture. Let them soak. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
2. When the oil is hot, the plantains should be done soaking. Peel them; the best way is to slice the peel and slowly crack it off using both hands. Once the plantains are peeled, cut them in to about 1" round slices.
3. Add them slowly to the oil. Lower the heat if oil is too hot. The oil should cover half, if not the whole plantain slice. Turn them and cook on both sides. They should be lightly browned, but not cooked completely.
4. Take them out and place them on a brown paper bag. One at a time, flatten them with hand, small plate, glass, or anything handy. Add back to oil. Cook them on both sides until brown.
5. Take them out and add a little salt. For dip, add ketchup, mayo, and garlic to bowl, and stir well. Use as dipping sauce for tostones.