Twice Cooked Tempeh
2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
2 onions, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin [u]Sauce[/u]:
2/3 cup water
6 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 tablespoon hot mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 to 3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon parsley 16 ounces tempeh
vegan shredded cheese, chedder and mozzarella flavor
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet and saute the onions and garlic 6 to 7 minutes, until softened and golden.
2. Add the red pepper, chili powder, coriander, and cumin. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Except for the parsley, whisk together the sauce ingredients and add to the pan. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes to warm through. Finally, stir in the parsley.
4. In another skillet heat the 1 tablespoon of oil and fry tempeh slices 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden and warmed through. Transfer to a large, shallow baking dish.
5. Make two layers starting with the tempeh, sauce, and cheese. Repeat. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
Source of recipe: I got this recipe from a tofu cookbook, I modify the veggies in it with what I have in the fridge. So far it has been awesome!