Vegan Chicken & Biscuits
Vegan Chicken & Biscuits
4 vegan frozen chicken cutlets or patties (breaded or unbreaded is fine), diced
2 tablespoons oil (I used olive oil but your favorite is fine)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to your taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or more if desired
5 cups vegan chicken stock
3 Tablespoons vegan butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 to 1/2 cup soy milk (depends on how thick you want it)
2 large carrots, diced
2 cups package frozen peas
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves, or 2 Tbsps dried
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 stick cold butter flavored Crisco, diced (I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes or more)
3/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (you can switch it up and do other herbs, spices, etc.)
Vegan egg Wash
1/4 cup soy milk, small amount of cooking spray, or you can use The Vegg for brush it with. (directions for The Vegg as followed on instructions)
1. Heat vegan chicken breasts up in microwave until defrosted.
2. Place the vegan chicken aside until cool enough to handle, then cut the chicken into small chunks.
3. In a Large pot or Dutch oven, put in the oil and saute the onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, until translucent. Add the carrots to cook, and also add salt and pepper at this point. Stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
4. Add the vegan chicken stock to the veggie mixture. Simmer for 10 or more minutes, stirring until carrots are tender. Once tender add the cubed chicken, peas, and parsley, and mix well.
For thickening: Mix the flour and vegan butter in separate bowl, working with fork until the butter is mixed with flour completely or is the size of peas. Turn your heat up to high and add to the chicken and broth mixture and slowly blend into the pot until the butter pieces melt. You will see it thicken up rapidly. Once completely thickened, turn off heat and set aside. Serve with a biscuit and stew poured over top, garnish with parsley and serve.
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. If you don't have a mixer you can do this by hand with a pastry cutter (for needing the Crisco and everything together).
2. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. Add the soy milk and combine on low speed until ingredients are combined, DO NOT over mix or you will have tough rocks on your hands.
3. Mix in the parsley or other choices. Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and with a rolling pin, roll out to about a 1/2-inch thick.
4. Cut out circles with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, I use a drinking glass a lot. (Its about that size and I get 6 large biscuits out of it)
5. Place them on a cookie sheet or pie pan, if they are touching side by side in the pie pan that is fine. Brush them with "egg wash" (add salt and pepper, if desired) and place in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 or until golden brown and dough doesn't spring back.
6. Serve with Vegan Stew and Enjoy!