1/4 cup corn or soybean oil
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans
2 tablespoons liquid smoke (I use Colgin*)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
18 fluid ounces water
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon vegan sugar
1 (12-ounce) bag tortilla chips
1 (12-ounce) container sour cream (I use Toffuti* blue container - only the blue container is vegan)
1. In a pan over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add beans, then mash them. Add liquid smoke; fry for a few minutes.
2. Add tomato paste, then fill empty tomato paste can with water and add to pan 3 times. Add black pepper, celery seed, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika, crushed red pepper, and sugar; stir until tomato paste is dissolved and beans and spices are mixed. Cook for a few minutes.
3. Crush tortilla chips and add to pan; stir, then cook for a few minutes.
4. Serve with limes and sour cream.
Variations: Add vegetables and salt (but the tortilla chips are salty) if you want. Hot sauce could be used instead of crushed red pepper.
* COLGIN liquid smoke says it's vegan on the bottle and website. Only the Toffuti BLUE CONTAINER is vegan.
Source of recipe: i wrote this recipe.