Vegan Ho'olaule'a (Hawaiian Celebration) Cake
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 cup + 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups raw sugar
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, in pineapple juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped [u]Frosting[/u]:
1 (8-ounce) container vegan cream cheese (e.g., Tofutti)
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 pound powdered sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
flaked coconut, to taste (garnish)
chopped macadamia nuts, to taste (garnish)
[u]Cake[/u]:1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine the water, cornstarch, flax, and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil; stir until a thick paste forms. (This is equivalent to 3 eggs.) Into the egg substitute, beat 1 cup vegetable oil, sugar, the pineapple with its juice, and vanilla; blend.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the banana, coconut, and macadamia nuts; fold into the batter. Divide the batter evenly among the cake pans.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with no crumbs attached. Transfer the cakes to a rack and cool before frosting.
[u]Frosting[/u]: 1. In a bowl, combine the vegan cream cheese, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and coconut extract; beat with electric mixer until well combined.
2. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until the desired frosting consistency forms.
3. Stir in coconut. Consistency will be runnier than most frostings.
4. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before frosting cake to allow frosting to become firmer.
5. After frosting the cake, sprinkle with flaked coconut and chopped macadamia nuts.
Source of recipe: This recipe was inspired by Giada De Laurentiis's banana bread recipe from the Food Network and turned into something amazing and vegan! The frosting is my very own and is delicious with this cake!