Vegan Lasagne Bake
1 large eggplant
9 cloves garlic, peeled (1 clove, chopped)
thyme, to taste
rosemary, to taste
basil, to taste
oregano, to taste
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (12 ounce) package lasagne noodles
1 medium onion, chopped
red wine or vegetable broth for sauteing
4 portobello mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces spinach, chopped (thawed)
1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce or homemade sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
vegan mozzarella or parmesan, optional
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pierce eggplant with a fork a few times. Spray small baking sheet with nonstick spray and bake for 45 minutes. Turn often to prevent burning. When finished, let cool.
2. At same time, lay out one square of aluminum foil. Place 8 peeled cloves garlic in center of foil, sprinkle with desired amounts of herbs and cover in olive oil. Wrap aluminum packet and place on rack in oven. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes (you can do this along with eggplant).
3. Boil lasagne noodles according to package directions. Drain. Saute onions and chopped garlic clove in vegan wine or broth. When onions are clear, add mushrooms and saute until soft. At last moment, add spinach and 1 tablespoon water if liquid has dried up. Saute for one minute or so and remove from heat.
4. Peel the cool eggplant and dice the pulp. Place pulp in bowl and add mushroom/spinach/onion mixture and garlic packet. Mix Well. Add salt and pepper, if desired. On bottom of 9x12" baking pan, coat with a thin layer of sauce.
5. Layer lasgne noodles, vegetable mixture (and cheese, if desired). Repeat. If no vegan cheese is used, end with vegetables. If cheese is used, end with a layer of noodles and then cheese on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.