Vegan Spaghetti and Meatballs
1/2 cup dried red kidney beans or 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2" piece kombu seaweed, optional
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and liquid reserved
2 teaspoons + 2 teaspoons oregano, divided
2 teaspoons + 2 teaspoons thyme, divided
2 teaspoons sugar
sea salt, to taste
1 to 4 tablespoon(s) whole grain flour, as necessary
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 pound whole grain spaghetti noodles
1. If using dried beans, soak kidney beans in lots of water overnight, then drain. Add soaked beans to a pot and cover them by 2" with fresh water. Add kombu, but do not add any salt. Gently boil for 1 hour. (Adding a bit of kombu to the water while they cook will improve their digestibility.)
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mash cooked kidney beans. For meatballs, add 1 tablespoon tomato juice, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons thyme, sugar, and salt to mashed beans. Add flour as needed to bind them together. Form into small balls. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. For sauce, in a pan, saute the garlic in olive oil, then add the diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons oregano, and 2 teaspoons thyme. Leave this to simmer.
4. For pasta, bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the noodles. They will take about 10 minutes to cook. Drain the noodles. Stir in a small amount of sauce with the noodles.
5. Serve with pasta more sauce and topped with 3 to 4 'meatballs'.
Source of recipe: To watch a free video of me making this vegan spaghetti and meatballs recipes, so that I can show you the exact techniques to make the perfect vegan meatballs go to www.healthyveganrecipes.net/video/vegan-spaghetti-recipe