Vegan Spinach Mac and Cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 tablespoons wheat flour
2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt, pepper, Tabasco to taste
12 to 16 ounces pasta (I use quinoa elbow pasta)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat panko breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning
8 ounces vegan cheddar, shredded (I use Daiya cheddar)
8 ounces vegan mozzarella, shredded (I use Daiya mozzarella)
10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Boil water for cooking pasta, once water is boiling add pasta and cook per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2) In a large saucepan make a roux with olive oil and flour. Whisk in almond milk and simmer until starts to thicken. Add 3/4 of each package of vegan cheese , smoked paprika, salt, pepper, Tabasco (to add a little heat) , whisk to melt and thoroughly mix.
3) While sauce is simmering, mix the reserved "cheese" with the seasoned panko bread crumbs in a bowl. Thaw the frozen chopped spinach in the microwave oven, then drain as much of the water as possible and mix into "cheese" sauce.
4) In a large bowl mix the cooked elbow pasta and the "cheese" sauce.
5) In a casserole dish put in a layer about half the depth of the dish, then sprinkle some of the bread crumb mixture. Finish by covering the breadcrumbs with the rest of the pasta and sauce, then top with the rest of the breadcrumbs and "cheese." Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Source of recipe: I had some ingredients in the fridge and threw this together today and it came out quite good but may need to adjust spices to individual taste