Vegan veggie lasagna
1 pound organic lasagna noodles
canola oil, as needed (I use expeller pressed)
nonstick cooking spray (I use expeller pressed grapeseed)
1 large eggplant, sliced thinly and quartered
1 (12 ounce) bag meatless grounds (I use Boca)
1 pound sweet white corn
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 pound stoplight (red, yellow, green bell) peppers (I use 365 Organics)
1 1/2 jars (14-16 ounces) tomato basil pasta sauce (I use 365 Organics), divided
1 pound organic firm tofu
black pepper and sea salt, to taste
oregano, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
4 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring water to a boil with 1 tablespoon oil in wide pot for noodles. Boil pasta for 11 minutes according to package directions. Be sure to move them around so they don't stick. Drain and lay flat. Saute eggplant with a little oil until tender, dark, and see through. Set aside.
2. Heat deep skillet to medium heat . Spray with nonstick spray. Add meatless grounds, and cook about 3 minutes. Add corn, onions, eggplant, and peppers; cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add 1 (9 ounce) jar pasta sauce to mix. Add water to empty jar, shake, and pour on mix. Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes. Break up tofu into bowl and season with oregano, garlic, and a pinch salt. Set aside. Polish bottom of the pan with some of the remaining sauce, but not too much.
4. Add layer of pasta, then add 1/2 of grounds mix, spreading evenly. Add seasoned tofu. With the back of a wooden spoon, blend the tofu with grounds mix without completely mixing it.
5. Add layer of pasta, then rest of grounds mix, and add rest of sauce on top. Smooth sauce. Cover with heavy duty foil and bake for 90 minutes. When done, sprinkle cheese on top, and let it melt in oven. Take out when done!
Get them vegan jaws a-munching!
Source of recipe: I was in the kitchen cooking and decided to add pasta and a pan and whatever else was in my fridge.