Veggies and Rice
1-1/2 cups dry instant brown rice
1 cup water
1/3 + 1/4 cup tomato juice
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 medium bell pepper, diced
1/2 medium zucchini, diced
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 (15-ounce) can black beans (I use seasoned)
1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1. Prepare rice as instructed on package, using 1 cup water and 1/3 cup tomato juice.
2. While rice is cooking, saute onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and garlici over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
3. Add tomato and corn and saute an additional 2 to 3 minutes, covered.
4. Add rice, beans, cumin, red pepper flakes, and 1/4 cup tomato juice to veggies. Turn down heat and simmer, covered, to desired consistency, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Dish out, squeeze lime juice over the top, and serve.
Source of recipe: This dish started out as a beans and rice dish, but I decided to add a few other veggies.