Who Needs Feta? Spanakopita
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound firm tofu, drained (I use silken, but I believe any texture would work)
1 tablespoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1 (16 ounce) package vegan fresh or thawed frozen phyllo dough, divided
1/2 cup melted vegan margarine (I prefer Earth Balance)
1. Saute the onions in the olive oil over medium heat until tender and golden. Remove skillet from heat. Place tofu in a mixing bowl and crumble with a fork.
2. Add dill, lemon juice, salt and pepper, onions, and spinach. Stir thoroughly to combine. At this point I usually taste the seasonings and adjust until it is just right.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove 1/2 the phyllo dough from the package and cover the rest with plastic wrap and/or a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Brush the bottom and sides of a 13X9" glass baking dish with the melted margarine.
4. Place 2 phyllo sheets in the dish and press in lightly. Lightly brush with margarine (make sure to get the edges) and top with 2 more sheets and continue repeating until you have used half of the package of phyllo dough.
5. Spread the spinach mixture in dish on top of the phyllo dough. Top with remaining phyllo dough in the same way as before, tucking or rolling in the excess edges when finished. Bake 45 minutes until golden and filling is hot. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!