added this 2 years ago
Whole Wheat Oatmeal Pancakes
What you need:
- 3/4 Cup quick - cooking oats
- 1 1/2 Cups plus 2 tablespoons vegan buttermilk
- 3/4 Cup whole - wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Large egg replacer
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- Accompaniment: sliced bananas or blueberries
What you do:
- 1. To make vegan buttermilk, mix 1 tbsp of lemmon juice per cup of soymilk. I had that mixture sit for 10 min before step 2.
- 2. Soak oats in 3/4 cup vegan buttermilk for 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- 4. Stir egg replacer (I used tbsp of ground flax to 3 tbsp of water and have it sit for a few minutes to gel up), vegan butter I used Earth Balance), brown sugar, remaining 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan buttermilk, and oat mixture into dry ingredients until just combined.
- 5. Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with oil.
- 6. Working in batches, pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 1 minute.
- 7. Flip with a spatula and cook other side, about 1 minute more. (Lightly oil griddle between batches.)
- This was how I adapted a favorite non vegan recipe from Epicurious. Whole family including my 5 & 11 year olds love it. The kids prefer this pancake over all others.
20 min or less