WORLDS GREATEST ~ Vegan Margherita Pizza
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cups water, room temperature
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil, to taste
1/2 cup pizza sauce
2 tablespoons buttery spread (I use Smart Balance)
1/3 cup nutrtional yeast
2 tablespoons vegan ranch (I use Walden Farms Calorie Free ranch)
2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (I use Veganaise)
1 tablespoon vegan parmesan
1/4 cup vegan cheese (I use Vegan Gourmet Cheddar), shredded
1 roma tomato, diced
1. Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water and allow it to stand for approximately 5 minutes. Add the 3/4 cup flour, and mix until the flour is absorbed. Cover the starter with a cotton towel and allow it to remain at room temperature for 1 hour. Mix the salt with the flour (2 1/4 cup).
2. Add the additional 1 1/4 cups of water to the starter after one hour. Add the flour/salt mixture, and continue to mix the ingredients to the consistency of a soft dough. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Shape each into a ball. Place the 3 portions of dough on the flour dusted surface. Cover with a cotton or linen towel, and allow them to rise for 2 hours.
3. After the dough has risen, place a baking stone in the oven and set the temperature to 500° F. Allow the oven to heat. Fold the edge of each portion of dough toward the center, kneading it gently, while maintaining a round shape. Place each portion onto a floured work surface. I recommend using a pizza paddle if you have one, Work with each portion individually. Roll the dough into a circular shape of about 10-12 inches. Drizzle at least 1 teaspoon olive oil over the pizza, spreading it with your hand.
4. For topping (one dough portion), spread pizza sauce on the circular crust. Place a skillet on low-medium heat. Place butter spread in the pan and allow to melt. Mix in nutritional yeast flakes until smooth. Add ranch and vegan mayonnaise.
5. Add cheese to the skillet. Allow time for everything to melt together. Pour over pizza sauce and spread to the edge. Sprinkle tomato over the topping. Place into oven on pizza stone and bake at 500° F for 10 minutes. Remove and sprinkle with vegan parmesan.
Source of recipe: I was playing around in the kitchen, and this is what I came up with.