Yummy Tortilla Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil, as needed
5 gloves garlic, chopped
1 red or orange pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 limes, juiced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1/2 cup packed, chopped fresh cilantro
1 pound firm tofu or 1/2 pound baked tofu, cut into small pieces (I like baked savory)
2 to 3 cups veggie broth ("No-Chicken Broth" is my favorite), divided
4 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1. Saute the onion in olive oil until it sweats, then throw in garlic. When both are fragrant, toss in peppers and corn and some broth so they will cook.
2. When pepper is getting soft, stir in tomatoes, dry seasonings, lime, cilantro, and tofu. Add more broth so nothing will stick to the bottom and stir well.
3. Allow flavors to blend for 5 minutes then add the remaining broth and let simmer for 10 minutes, adjusting liquid and spices as needed.
4. While soup is simmering, cook the tortilla strips: heat some olive oil in a small pan at medium high until it responds to water droplet. Drop in a handful of the strips at a time and stir so all sides get oil. Remove with tongs when they are crispy and getting golden brown.
5. Serve soup topped with tortillas as well as avocado and/or vegan cheese. Que Sopa Sabrosa!
Source of recipe: I made this up.