Zesty Italian Crescent Casserole
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1-1/2 cups ground beef substitute
1 cup spaghetti sauce (use your favorite kind)
1/3 cup shredded chedder soy cheese
3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
3 triangles of uncooked Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls
1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon vegan margarine, melted
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Add the onions and olive oil to a sauce pan over medium heat and saute until the onions turn translucent. Then add the ground beef substitute and spaghetti sauce, then let it simmer for about 5 minutes, until it starts to thicken up.
3. While the “meat” sauce is thickening, mix together the soy cheese and vegan sour cream in a small bowl.
4. Once the “meat” sauce is done, put it in a 7" x 7" casserole dish. Top it with the sour cream/cheese mixture, then layer on the uncooked crescent roll dough. You might have to stretch the dough a little to cover the entire casserole. Mix the nutritional yeast with the melted margarine and then pour it on top of the crescent dough.
5. Put the pan into the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes, then serve!
Source of recipe: This is a re-creation of an old recipe from my pre-vegan days. My mom used to make it and now I've made a vegan version.