Agave Roasted Beet Salad
3 red beets
8-1/2 ounces white balsamic vinegar
8-1/2 ounces fig infused white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 pinch sea salt [u]Salad[/u]:
2 heads artisan lettuce (such as sweet jem or oak lettuce), roughly chopped
1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, then cut into 1/2" thick slices
12 grape tomatoes or baby heirlooms, cut in half
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup cooking liquid from beets (after baking there will be remaining vinegar mixture in the pan)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Roast Beets: a. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. b. Clean the beets by removing their tops (save them they are great sauteed with almonds and greenbeens). c. In a bread loaf pan, combine both vinegars, agave nectar, and salt. Add the beets. d. Cover with tin foil and place in oven for 2-1/2 hours. Check them around 2 hours and, depending on your oven. If you can put a knife into one of the beets and it goes in easily, they are done. Once done remove them and place them on the stove until they cool to room temperature.
2. Cut beets into 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Salad: In a bowl, combine beets, lettuce, cucumber, and tomato.
4. Dressing: In another bowl, combine beet cooking liquid, lemon juice, and vegetable oil; whisk until blended.
5. Pour dressing over salad; mix well. Allow the salad to sit for a couple of minutes so the dressing can little pickle the cucumber, then enjoy.
Source of recipe: This is something i adapted from a recipe that I originally had paired with goat cheese when i worked at a restaurant