Baha Tofu Tacos with Cilantro Cole Slaw
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin Coleslaw and dressing:
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
3 cups multi-colored coleslaw blend
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro Tofu and tacos:
1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu, pressed
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup plain vegan yogurt
2 cups Panko bread crumbs
4 cups vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas
1. For tofu rub, combine lime juice, salt, vegetable oil, and cumin; set aside. To make the cole slaw dressing, place lime juice, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, cumin, and chipotles in food processor. Pulse until smooth.
2. Pour mixture over slaw mix, stir in cilantro, mix well. Refrigerate until you are ready to eat. (If you make the slaw the night before, or a few hours before, it will be even tastier). Unwrap tofu, and cut into 8 equal slices.
3. Rub all sides of tofu lightly with the rub mixture. Set up 3 bowls, 1 with the flour, 1 with the yogurt, and 1 with the panko crumbs. Dip each piece of tofu in flour covering all sides, then yogurt, then panko crumbs.
4. Pat crumbs into tofu to get them to stick well. Set on plate until all the pieces are breaded. Pour the vegetable oil into a 10 quart sauce pan and heat to 365 degrees Fahrenheit over medium heat. Deep fry breaded tofu pieces in oil 3-4 at a time until golden brown.
5. Spray each corn tortillas with cooking spray, heat 1 or 2 at a time in a large cast iron skillet. You can also spray them and then place them on a cookie sheet and bake them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve by placing 1 piece tofu on top of a warmed tortilla, top with cole slaw.