1 (14 oz) can white beans, rinsed, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup white vegan wine
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
8 ounces whole wheat fettuccine
1/2 grated vegan "parmesan cheese"
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil. Mash 1/2 cup beans in a small bowl with a fork.
2. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and bay leaf; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high and boil until most of the liquid evaporates, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomatoes (with juices), 2 tablespoons parsley, and the mashed beans. Bring to a lively simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining whole beans; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water until just tender, about 9 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the sauce. Divide the pasta among 4 bowls. Top with the sauce, sprinkle with "cheese" and the remaining parsley.