Cajun-Style Italian Eggplant Sandwich
1 large eggplant
¼ cup of soymilk
3 dashes soy sauce
1 handful sundried tomatoes
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese or vegan mayonnaise, or as desired
1/4 cup hummus, or as desired
5 bagels (I use everything bagels)Cajun breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup cornmeal
2 tablespoons chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
1) Slice 1 large eggplant into round sections ¼" thick. Split up and prepare half for the Cajun breadcrumbs and half for the Italian style.
2) Prepare the Cajun breadcrumbs. Pour soymilk and soy sauce into a bowl. Mix dry Cajun ingredients into a shallow dish. Dip eggplant into soymilk mixture and then coat with Cajun breadcrumbs. Put on cookie sheet with parchment paper and scatter sun-dried tomatoes scattered on sheet.
3) Prepare the Italian style eggplant by placing the remaining eggplant slices onto cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil then sprinkle on salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Flip and repeat for the opposite side.
4) Bake both cookie sheets of eggplant for 20 minutes, flipping at the 10 minute mark.
5) Once eggplant is baked, assemble the sandwich by lightly toasting the bagel. Spread one side with vegan cream cheese the other with hummus. Place 1 slice of Cajun eggplant in between two slices of Italian eggplant – with one layer of sun-dried tomatoes in between. Enjoy.
Source of recipe: I was experimenting in the kitchen and this is what I came up with.