Chili and Lime Couscous Veggie Burger
3/4 cup dry couscous
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
8 pitted dates, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, finely diced
1 lime, juice of
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/3 cup hot water
1/2 vegetable stock cube
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons flour
olive oil, for frying
1. In a bowl, combine the couscous, olive oil, lemon juice, cardamon, paprika, chili power, dates, garlic, onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
2. In another bowl, combine the water and vegetable stock cube; stir to dissolve cube. Add to the couscous mixture; let sit, stirring occassionally, until all of the liquid has absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mash the kidney beans with the back of a spoon or a potato masher. Add mashed kidney beans and breadcrumbs to couscous mixture; mix together well (it should form a doughlike mixture).
4. Divide the mixture into eight balls and dust with a little flour, then form
and press into burger shapes.
5. In a pan over medium heat, pour oil to 1/4-inch depth. Place burgers in pan and shallow fry, turning occassionally, for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown on both sides.
Serve with vegetables and your favourite sauce. Or in a bun with chips of course.
The couscous should give the burgers a good firm consistency. However,
add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too liquid.