Delicious Lavash Press with Tahini Basil Sauce
Tahini Basil Sauce:
8 ounces tahini
1 cup fresh basil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder Lavash Press:
2 pieces lavash bread (thin flatbread)
8 ounces vegan mozzarella, shredded, divided
6 large basil leaves, divided
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, divided
2 tablespoons oil (olive or grapeseed work best for flavor)
1. For sauce, place all ingredients in a food processor and blend. Sauce should become a light shade of green with small pieces of basil not entirely processed. This sauce is relatively thin. If it's at all thick, add more water, a tablespoon at a time, and blend until it is a thinner consistency. Place in fridge until ready to eat.
2. For lavash press, carefully lay 2 pieces lavash bread on a flat surface. Place 4 ounces of the cheese on each lavash, close to the bottom right corner and middle, placing it at a diagonal, so it points to the top right and bottom left. Next, place 1/2 the basil and sundried tomatoes over the cheese on each lavash.
3. You can begin to fold the lavash. Start by folding the bottom right corner into the middle, covering most of the filling. Next, fold the bottom left corner so you almost have a triangle. Fold the top right corner in and lastly fold the top left corner over the the lavash.
4. Brush the oil over both sides of the lavash and place in a frying pan. Heat on low-medium. You want to cook it slowly so the cheese has time to semi melt. The slower it cooks the better. You don't want the cheese to melt completely because it will become runny.
5. Once both sides of the lavash are becoming a crisp golden color, you can remove from heat. I microwaved my lavash for 30 seconds after I took it from the pan, just to give the cheese a little extra heat without burning the bread. Cut lavash in 1/2 and serve with tahini basil sauce. The lavash is meant to be dipped into the tahini basil sauce. I do not reccomend pouring it into or onto the lavash, as it will be very messy and soggy.
This is a nice meal as it's unique and not something many people have had. It's wonderful for when you want to try something different. It's simple to make and has few ingredients, all of which are foods most everyone loves.
Source of recipe: This recipe is inspired by a dish at the restaurant, Jumpin Java.