1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/8 cup Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon sea salt and pepper
canola oil, as needed
1 medium-large eggplant, sliced 1/4-1/2" thick
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour some canola oil in a dish or plate, used for dipping the eggplant. Dip the eggplant in the oil just enough to get the sides shiny looking; don't smother it.
2. Dip the eggplant in the breading on all sides and pat the breading into the eggplant. I dip all slices before frying, and place on cookie sheet.
3. Drizzle oil into a pan. Be cautious since the eggplant will absorb a lot of oil. I normally start with a little oil and add more as they brown.I normally fry 4-5 slices at a time in a pan.
4. Fry each side of the eggplant for about 2 minutes or until it looks golden. Then, set them back on the cookie sheets and sprinkle more breading on top.
5. Once all the eggplant is dipped, fried, and placed on the cookie sheets, bake them for 10 minutes, flip them over and sprinkle more breading on the underside and put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Serve over pasta with marinara sauce, or whatever you like.
Source of recipe: I created this recipe all on my own, but my boyfriend likes to help me cook it.