Garlic Potato Soup With Kale and TVP
6 small new potatoes (or other potato), rinsed and diced (do not remove skin)
2 cups water
2 cloves crushed garlic
3 tablespoons vegan margarine (I use Earth Balance)
2 good sized shallots, chopped
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to taste
3 cups "original" flavor non-dairy milk (I use almond or rice milk)
1 cup grated vegan cheddar "cheese" (I use Daiya shreds)
1 cup ham, bacon, or pepperoni flavored TVP
1/2 teaspoon sugar
8 ounces kale, rinsed, chopped, stems removed
fresh ground pepper to taste
1. In a large sauce pan place potatoes, water, and cloves to boil. Cook until potatoes are tender, then drain reserving liquid, and garlic.
2. Melt butter in a large dutch oven or pot. Add shallots and cook until translucent, stirring regularly.
3. Add garlic, flour, and pepper flakes cooking until fragrant.
4. Stir in potatoes, a cup of reserved liquid, non-dairy milk, vegan cheese, TVP, and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer partly covered for fifteen minutes.
5. Add kale, season with fresh pepper, and then simmer completely covered for another fifteen minutes. Serve hot.
Source of recipe: I modified this recipe from my mother's traditional potato soup recipe.