Husbands Love This Vegan Club Sandwich!
1 block of extra firm tofu cut into 1/2" thick slices
1/2 block tempeh, cut into thin slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
freshly cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon maple syrup
salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1) Prepare the tofu and tempeh for the sandwich as follows:
2) For tofu: Make the marinade by combining the olive oil, soy sauce, Dijon mustard and black pepper in a small bowl. Brush both sides of the tofu slices with the marinade and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. You will have leftover marinade. Save this for the tempeh bacon.
3) For tempeh bacon: Add the liquid smoke and maple syrup to the remaining marinade. Brush both sides of tempeh with marinade and place on another lightly oiled baking sheet.
4) Place both baking sheets in the oven. After 15 minutes, flip tofu and tempeh slices over and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Tofu should be browned and tempeh should be browned and crisp at the end of cooking time. If you need to leave them in longer, you may do so. Let cool after removing from oven.
5) Assemble sandwich: For a one layer sandwich, toast 2 slices of bread and slather each with vegan mayo. Place 2 tofu slices on one slice of bread, then the tempeh bacon, and then the tomatoes. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper. Layer the lettuce over the tomatoes and close sandwich. Cut in half and serve. You can also make a traditional double decker club if you like by adding an extra piece of toast in the middle.
You will have tofu and tempeh bacon leftovers which store well in the fridge and can be used for sandwiches the next day or later in the week.
Source of recipe: I've been making these sandwiches for my omni husband's lunches. He really likes this vegan version of The Club. I used to use marinades for the tofu and tempeh bacon from cookbooks but I'm now comfortable enough to use my own recipe.