Light Summertime Pasta Salad
6 ounces young asparagus spears, trimmed
6 ounces sweet corn, halved lengthwise
6 ounces baby carrots (the smaller the better)
4 to 5 ounces snow peas
3 to 4 ounces purple onion, sliced thin and cut in half
1 (16-ounce) bag dry rotini pasta, cooked and cooled
3 tablespoons Italian dressing
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons powdered mustard
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
vegan mayonnaise, to taste (optional)
vegan parmesan (optional)
1. In a pot, combine 4 cups of water and salt; bring to a boil. Add asparagus and corn; cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add carrots and snow peas; cook for another 2 minutes (carrot test: should be tender but still slightly crispy). Drain all the veggies and refresh under cold water. Drain.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the purple onions; toss. Add pasta; gently toss to thoroughly mix.
4. Dressing: In a jar, combine the Italian dressing, olive oil, mustard, and vinegar; thoroughly mix. Add salt and pepper; mix well.
5. Pour dressing over the salad; toss well. Mix in mayonnaise to make the salad more creamy. Serve immediately or chilled in the fridge. Sprinkle with parmesan before serving.