OMG Breakfast Bars
3/4 cup peanut butter (I use Skippy Super Chunk)
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
2 tablespoons jelly/preserves/all fruit spread
1 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup raisins, or other squishy dried fruit of choice
approximately 1/2 cup applesauce (sweetened or cinnamon is ok)
1/2 cup chopped nuts, unsalted (unsalted = important)
chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8" x 8" baking dish.
2. In a miccrowave safe bowl, combine peanut butter and vegan margarine. In 30 second increments, heat until peanut butter may be easily mixed with butter.
3. Stir in jelly, then oatmeal and raisins. It will be a pretty thick mixture by now, which is where the applesauce comes in. Add enough applesauce to make the mix easy to work with and slightly liquidy, but not too much so. (I know it's really confusing and I'm sorry.)
4. press mixture into baking dish. Press or arrange nuts into the top. If the nuts you are using are salted, rinse them off first, because the bars turn out salty as it is (in fact, it may be a good idea to rinse the nuts regardless, so they don't burn in the oven).
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until they seem to be getting dried out and set. I just kind of kept checking, but I pulled mine out a little early so they would be squishier. If desired, melt some chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over top. Let cool, and enjoy! (I keep mine in the fridge so that they will stay more solid.)
Source of recipe: I was sitting in chemistry, hungry as usual, and started dreaming up a breakfast bar that would keep me somewhat full until lunch... Not sure that this does the trick, but it's tasty!