Shepherd's Pie, How it should be
1 (12 ounce) bag veggie burger crumbles
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
2 teaspoons thyme
1-2 tablespoons rosemary
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups veggie broth
2 tablespoons flour
4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
4-6 tablespoons vegan butter
1/4 cup nondairy milk (I use soy)
1 (6 ounce) can English peas
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a skillet with cooking spray, brown crumbles. In another bigger pan, brown onions and carrots.
2. When onions are translucent, add garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper, crumbles, broth, and flour; mix well. Allow to boil and then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Check to see when most of the liquid is soaked up.
3. While that's going on, boil potatoes until tender, drain and mash. Add the milk, salt and pepper and butter. You don't want them as creamy as usual mashed potatoes, much coarser and thicker.
4. In a deep pie plate, cover the bottom with enough mashed potatoes like a pie crust (you will need more for the top). Spray with a little cooking spray or vegan butter and place in oven for 5 minutes. You want them to firm up a bit.
5. Then, add the peas to the crumbles mixture and pour it all on the crust. Sprinkle on some more rosemary and thyme if you like, and spread remaining potatoes on top; rub on a little butter or cooking spray. Place in oven, and bake about 25 minutes, until potatoes are nicely browned on top.