Sweet Potato and Tofu Empanadas
canola oil, as needed
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 sweet potato, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 (14 ounce) block firm tofu, crumbled
1/2 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
1/2 tomato, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
2 egg replacers (I use Ener-G)
6 flour tortillas, warmed
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a skillet. Sauté onion, sweet potato, and garlic until they are mostly done, then add tofu. Cook until tofu is slightly browned, then add creamed corn and tomato until heated.
2. Add salt and pepper, then turn off heat. Prepare egg replacers according to the instructions on the box. Heat 1/4" oil in a pan. Make sure the tortillas are room temperature or warm, so they will fold.
3. Spoon roughly 1/3 cup sauté mixture on the tortilla, making sure there is not too much filling, or else the tortilla won't close. Use a spoon to spread a thin layer of egg replacer around the edge of the tortilla.
4. Fold in 1/2 into a half-circle shape. Press the edges hard with your fingers until the empanada stays shut on its own. Drop the empanada carefully into the oil and fry until it is light golden brown on 1 side.
5. Flip the empanada over and fry until it is light golden brown on both sides. The empanada fries quickly, so don't leave it in the oil too long.
Serve with salsa, avocado, or whatever dipping sauce you like! Delicious! This recipe is easily substituted with different ingredients; you could use russet potatoes, asparagus, zucchini, soyrizo, just about anything you can think of!
Source of recipe: This is a very easy, very quick recipe I came up with on the spot when I needed to use up a bunch of tortillas.