Very Simple Veganization of the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 very ripe banana, mashed
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (i always add a little more)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (those 2 tablespoons make a DIFFERENCE)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (make sure they don't contain milk)
Oven: Preheated to 375 degrees F
1. In a bowl, mix margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and banana thoroughly together.
2. Add the vanilla, baking soda and salt and stir until incorporated into the margarine, sugar, banana mixture. Add flour and fold in until incorporated. Lastly, add the chips and whatever else you want. Fold until uniform.
3. I like my cookies to spread and become crispy and chewy so i really like using a really warm dough. If you like doughier, cakier cookies, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes or so.
4. Using a 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon, spoon balls of dough onto an ungreased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until cookies are golden brown and set. Eat your heart out! Store in an air tight container. They will crisp up when they cool, but will become soft and chewy in the coming days. Totally sweet!
Source of recipe: I really really like my non vegan recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It yields a cookie that is just the right amount of gooey, chewy and crispy. My previous attempts into vegan baking were not too successful so i was hesitant to turn my beloved recipe into something monstrous. I also greatly deplore recipes that call for ridiculous ingredients to substitute animal products. Soy flour? Ground up flax seeds suspended in soy bean milk? Egg replacer? No thank you. I like simple substitutions. I did the ol' mashed up banana trick on these. I think the slight banana flavor really lends itself to these crispy, chewy (and slightly salty) chocolate chip cookies. If you like buttery, chewy cookies, you're gonna LOVE these!