Wonderful Wild Rice Salad
1 cup uncooked wild rice
2 medium beetroot
2 sticks celery
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons tahini
2 teaspoons maple syrup
Salt and cracked pepper, to taste
1. Cook the wild rice. Bring one cup of rice to the boil in 3 cups of water. Simmer for 55 minutes then take off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes with the lid on. The kernels should have opened slightly and should be slightly chewy.
2. Meanwhile, boil the beetroot in a pot until tender then peel and chop into small cubes.
3. Saute the onion with a bit of oil in another saucepan until soft and translucent.
4. Chop up the celery into small pieces.
5. Mix up the tahini, juice from the lemons, maple syrup, a pinch of salt and cracked pepper to make a dressing. Add a bit of water to thin out if needed.
6. Put the rice, beetroot, onion, celery together and pour dressing over. Mix slightly.
7. Serve. This salad takes a bit of time to prepare but it has a satisfying combination of flavours and textures: earthiness from the wildrice and beetroot, sweetness from the beetroot and maple syrup, crisp refreshing celery, creamy tahini, tangy lemon.
Note: You could use half brown rice and half wild rice instead, because the flavour of wild rice is quite strong.
Source of recipe: playing around in the kitchen.