Faux spicy Country Sausage
1 and 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup vegan chicken style stock powder
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 to 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground sage
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup water or veggie stock
2 cap-fulls of liquid smoke
1 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, add the gluten, stock powder, nutritional yeast, salt and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
3. To a smaller bowl, add the water, oil and liquid smoke.
4. Pour the wet into the dry and and stir quickly; the gluten seizes up fast. Turn out onto a flat surface and knead for about three minutes.
5. Shape the dough into a log. Oil a large piece of foil and roll the log in it. Twist the ends closed.
6. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 90 minutes.
7. When done, remove the foil, cool completely and store in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Slice off what you need.