Outstanding Cheezy Potato Bake
oil, as needed
6 small-medium red potatoes, sliced in 1/2" rounds
1/2-1 yellow onion, sliced
vegan buttery spread, to taste (I use Earth Balance)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1-1 1/2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk or water
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare a casserole dish (I used an 8x8" glass pyrex) with oil to cover the bottom. Set aside. Add 1 layer of potatoes to the bottom of the dish (I used 2 potatoes per layer, for 3 layers).
2. Add some sliced onions to the top of the potatoes, season with lots of salt and pepper, and add a few dollops of vegan butter on top of the layer.
3. Add the nutritional yeast to a bowl, and pour in enough milk or water (I used a mixture) to make a sauce (medium thinness). Season this with salt and pepper. Pour some of the sauce over the first layer, but remember you need enough for 3 layers.
4. Continue to layer the dish with potato, onion, salt, pepper, vegan butter, and cheezy sauce. You should have enough sauce to pour some on top. I recommend lots of onions on top because they brown so beautifully. Make sure you season with enough salt and pepper!
5. Pour some milk in the dish to about 1/2 up the dish. Bake for 45 minutes-1 hour (until the potatoes are very tender, and the sauce is bubbling).
Honestly, we could not tell any difference between this and the au gratin potatoes of our past.
Source of recipe: I created this recipe.