Creamy Vegan Alfredo Pasta Sauce
1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons vegan butter (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup nondairy creamer
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/3 pound frozen spinach or broccoli, chopped
2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
1/2 vegan chicken-style bouillon cube
Salt and peppe, to taste
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1) Soak cashews in 1 cup of water for 8 hours or overnight
2) In a pan, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of vegan butter until translucent, stirring occasionally. When fully cooked, place onions, garlic and cashews in blender and puree until smooth, adding cream as necessary to keep consistency.
3) Add remaining vegan butter to the pan over low-medium heat. Gradually add flour, mixing until fully incorporated and continue stirring gently for a few minutes. Add oregano, basil, mushroom and spinach.
4) When veggies have softened, add puree from blender, cream cheese and broth cube and mix together. Allow mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, adding additional liquid (water or nondairy cream) to maintain desired thickness.
6. Salt and pepper to taste and turn the heat off before adding nutritional yeast.
Toss with your favourite pasta and enjoy! There is rarely any left here at the end of the night